The Power of Information
Nonprofit Advocacy Reference Materials
This section of our website presents recent research, information about federal, state, and local lobbying laws, various forms, and additional sources of information for future reference , including lists of materials and organizations that will help you succeed.
- Government Accounting Office, Federal Lobbying: Differences in Lobbying Definitions and Their Impact (U.S. General Accounting Office Report to Congressional Committees: GAO/GGD-99-38; April 1999)
- Lester Salamon and Stephanie Lessans Geller, Communiqué #9, Johns Hopkins Listening Post Project , provides survey data on the scope of nonprofit advocacy, resources, and rationales for engaging and not engaging in advocacy efforts.
- Lester Salamon and Stephanie Lessans Geller, Communiqué #13, Johns Hopkins Listening Post Project , provides survery data on the level of public policy engagement of nonprofit organizations.
- Grant Making for Community Impact Project (GCIP), National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, provides an examination of the community benefits that directly result from nonprofit advocacy.
Advocacy Toolkits for Nonprofits
- Advocacy Toolkit: Building Policy Capacity - (National Council of Nonprofits)
- Speak for Yourself Advocacy Toolkit - (Colorado Nonprofit Association)
- Civic Engagement Tools and Checklists from the Nonprofit Voter Engagement Network
- Resources from the Center for Lobbying in the Public Interest (CLPI)
- Alliance for Justice, Worry-Free Lobbying for Nonprofits: How to Use the 501(h) Election to Maximize Effectiveness (2003)
- Nancy Amidei, So You Want to Make a Difference: Advocacy is the Key! (OMB Watch; 14th ed. 2002)
- David F. Arons, ed. Power in Policy: A Funder’s Guide to Advocacy and Civic Participation (Fieldstone Alliance 2007)
- David F. Arons, “Lobbying, Advocacy, and Nonprofit Management,” ch. 28 in Nonprofit Governance and Management; Victor Futter, editor-in-chief (American Bar Association 2002)
- Thomas R. Asher, Myth v. Fact: Foundation Support of Advocacy (Alliance for Justice 2003)
- Marcia Avner, The Lobbying and Advocacy Handbook for Nonprofit Organizations: Shaping Public Policy at the State and Local Level (Amherst H. Wilder Foundation 2002)
- Marcia Avner, The Nonprofit Board Member’s Guide to Lobbying and Advocacy (Amherst H. Wilder Foundation 2004)
- Gary Bass, David Arons, Kay Guiane, Matthew Carter, Seen But Not Heard: Strengthening Nonprofit Advocacy (The Aspen Institute 2007)
- Jeffrey M. Berry, with David F. Arons, A Voice for Nonprofits (The Brookings Institution 2003)
- Elizabeth M. Boris & Jeff Krehely, “Civic Participation and Advocacy,” Part II, ch. 9 in The State of Nonprofit America; Lester M. Salamon, ed. (Brookings Institution Press 2002)
- Center for Lobbying in the Public Interest, Make a Difference for Your Cause: Strategies for Nonprofit Engagement in Legislative Advocacy (2006)
- David Cohen, Rosa de le Vega, Gabrielle Watson, Advocacy for Social Justice: A Global Action and Reflection Guide (Kumarian Press 2001)
- Allison H. Fine, Momentum: Igniting Social Change (Jossey-Bass 2006)
- Elizabeth Heagy, “Building Capacity for Public Policy Advocacy,” in Enhance (Alliance for Nonprofit Management June 2004)
- Michael Schudson, The Good Citizen: A History of American Civic Life (The Free Press 1998)
- Kelley Shipp Simone, Top 10 Ways Private Foundations Can Influence Public Policy (Council on Foundations 2007)
- Bob Smucker, The Nonprofit Lobbying Guide, Second Edition (Independent Sector 1999)
Information Provided By: